Everything You Need To Know About Class A CDL Driving Jobs

Posted on: 30 March 2023

If you're looking for a job that offers steady pay, flexible hours, and the chance to explore the country, then a Class A CDL driving job may be the perfect fit for you. Here's what you need to know about different classes of CDL licenses, endorsements you may need for certain jobs, and which license you need for over-the-road driving.

What Is a CDL?

A CDL is a commercial driver's license. It is required by most states to operate commercial motor vehicles such as tractor-trailers and buses. The purpose of the CDL program is to ensure that all drivers are qualified and trained to drive their specific type of commercial motor vehicle. With a CDL, you can work in many different industries, including transportation, construction, agriculture, or energy. Class A CDL driving jobs range from local delivery truck drivers that are home every night to over-the-road driving jobs.

Are There Different Classes of CDL Licenses?

While your CDL license is issued by the state you live in, the federal government sets the standards. Depending on the size and weight of your vehicle and cargo, you will need one of three different classes of licenses.

  • Class A covers any combination of vehicles with a total weight of 26,001 pounds or more. This classification includes most tractor-trailers.
  • Class B covers any single vehicle with a total weight of 26,001 pounds or more. This classification typically includes box trucks and dump trucks.
  • Class C covers any single vehicle or combination that does not meet the definition for class A or class B. This classification covers trucks under 26,000 pounds in total weight, buses designed to carry 16 passengers, or vehicles transporting hazardous materials.

What Are Endorsements?

Endorsements are special qualifications that allow valid CDL holders to operate specialized commercial vehicles and school buses transporting students. These endorsements must be added to your existing license if you plan on operating certain types of vehicles beyond what your current license allows for. To get an endorsement added to your license requires additional testing by the state DMV office as well as additional training from either an employer or educational institution before taking the test.

Which License Do You Need to Over-the-Road Driving Jobs?

There are many opportunities available for those who hold a valid CDL. If you want to work as a long-haul truck driver, you typically need a Class A CDL. Depending on your employer, you may also need a special endorsement.

Before applying for Class A CDL driving jobs, it's important to have completed both the training and testing for your CDL license. 

For more info about Class A CDL driving jobs, contact a local company. 


Selling Online: Choosing Shipping Methods

Opening my own online business involved more than site design and settling on what I would offer for sale. There was also the matter of how to ship orders to my customers. I quickly learned that no one method is a good fit for every client. That led to me looking into shipping options that covered a range of needs. Today, I offer solutions for clients who order smaller quantities and different options for customers who order in bulk. My goal is always to provide fast and secure shipping while offering the best price. If you are thinking of starting an online business, let's talk about the shipping options. I'll help you learn how to evaluate different providers and what it takes to lock in the best rates. With the right shippers, you'll keep costs lower and get to keep more of your profits.